ALL EARS! Listening & Language Center uses Auditory-Verbal Therapy with the students and parents.
WHAT IS AUDITORY-VERBAL THERAPY?
The philosophy of Auditory-Verbal Therapy is for children with hearing loss to grow up in regular learning and social environments, enabling them to become independent, participating, and contributing citizens in the mainstream.
Auditory-Verbal Therapy is specialized therapy designed to teach a child to maximize the hearing provided by his or her hearing aid or cochlear implant in order to understand speech and learn to talk. The child is taught to develop hearing as an active sense so that listening becomes automatic and an integral part of communication, recreation, socialization, education, and work.
is a parent centered approach that encourages the use of naturalistic conversation and the use of spoken language to communicate,
is based on teaching parents, during their child’s individual therapy sessions to focus on listening and interact with their child using the auditory-verbal approach,
encourages interaction and mainstreaming children with normal-hearing peers, teaches the child to develop self-monitoring skills.
AVT follows a logical and critical set of guiding principles. The parent, therapist, and child engage in play activities that teach the child to use his or her amplified hearing to learn auditory-verbal communication like children with normal hearing. Participation in playgroups, library story hours, and attendance in community schools provides children with highly motivating natural language models. The child learns to listen to his/her own voice as well as to others during natural conversations which promotes natural voice quality.
WHY ALL EARS!?
Auditory-Verbal Therapy will provide the avenue for deaf and hard of hearing children to develop listening and spoken language skills! All Ears! is passionate about guiding and coaching families to the ultimate goal of educational and social inclusion in regular education classes.
- Pre-school for children 18 months to 5 years of age with intensive listening and language program in a licensed pre-school with hearing children
- Auditory-Verbal Therapy provided by a certified AVT, Listening & Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS)
- Classroom and social opportunities with hearing peers
- Parent Support Group
- Small student-to-teacher ratio with teachers who are experienced and qualified in the field of deaf education
- Fees are on a sliding scale
- Scholarships available based on need
- Language rich environment
- Applications are accepted year round
FOR SCHOOL VISITS OR MORE INFO ABOUT ENROLLMENT:
Email Shelley Mathay, Cert. AVT, LSLS, Founder and Program Director at email@example.com.